Hello Betting Ladies. Are you a baseball fan? If so, keep on reading to find out how to bet on Major League Baseball games.
Before we jump in, here are some quick links
Latest MLB picks
Here are the predictions and picks we’re giving you this week:
Latest MLB odds
See who is playing who and the odds.
Now, let’s jump in!
Baseball Betting – A Saga (Not Really, but That Sound Cool)
If you have ever heard and understood the saying, “It’s a marathon and not a sprint,” then you have an idea of what it is like to bet on Major League Baseball. The baseball season is the longest in all of professional sports. The teams play 162 games during the regular season, which comes after a month of spring training games, and comes before a month of the postseason.
You can literally bet on Major League Baseball from the end of February to the first of November. There are games basically every day in Major League Baseball. Betting on baseball takes patience and understanding the ebbs and flows of how a baseball season can and will go.
It is essential to make sure you have an idea of how all the various Major League Baseball betting lines and odds work. Once you have an idea and you start figuring out how it works, it could keep you busy basically all season long.
How To Bet On Baseball: MLB Betting Lines And Odds
There are some key teams you need to know and understand when betting on Major League Baseball. Let’s take a look at those:
- Moneyline: In Major League Baseball, since there is no real “point spread,” – most bets on who is going to win is made via the moneyline bet. There is a run line, which we will explain next. But a moneyline is like it would be in the NFL or NBA. If you are looking at a game and the St. Louis Cardinals were -180, and the Chicago Cubs were +150, you can take the Cardinals, and a $180 bet would win $100, or bet the Chicago Cubs at +150 would mean $150 bet would win you $110.
- Runline: When betting on Major League Baseball, run-line betting can be an alternative to moneyline. This gives a different option. So in the earlier scenario with the Cardinals at -180 and Cubs at +150. You may get the Cardinals -1.5, so they would have to win the game by two runs or more, and they may be listed at +114. So winning by two runs or more would benefit them and pay out more. On the other side, the Cubs would be at +1.5, which means win the game or lose by one, and they may be listed at more like -135. Bet $135 and win $100.
- Total: When betting totals in Major League Baseball, you do not really even need a certain team to win. Totals are over or under-bets. In Major League Baseball, each game will have a total. You have the opportunity to bet OVER that number or UNDER that number. This is the TOTAL amount of runs by BOTH teams combined.
When looking at odds, you need to understand the three formats: American, Decimal and Fractional.
American: When you see American odds: you will see a number +145 or -145. This is how you determine your moneyline bet.
Fractional Odds: For fractional odds: you multiply the fraction showing by the amount you bet to show a winning profit of your bet.
Decimal: Decimal odds vary because they will show the amount you would win, which includes the original bet. These are shown one number, which would be the amount you win on a $1 bet. So 2.25 would be $2.25 for every $1. 3.35 = $3.35 for every $1 wagered.
To calculate your bet, use our sports betting calculator.
Other Popular MLB Betting Types
There are many other popular Major League Baseball bets. Let’s take a look at some of them and how they work:
Future bets are very popular and are very common during the off-season. Bettors love to use spring training to get in with some of the following wagers:
- World Series WInner – each team, no matter how good or bad they are projected to be, will have odds to win the upcoming World Series. The Atlanta Braves may be something like +800, while the Pittsburgh Pirates would be something like +45000. The bigger the underdog, the more likely they are not to have any chance of winning the World Series.
- Divisional Winners – each of the five teams in the six divisions will have odds to win their division. Preseason is the best time to get them because the odds will change as games happen throughout the season.
- MVP Predictions – many of the top players in the league will have odds to win the Most Valuable Player. Something like Shohei Ohtani at +400, while Vladimir Guerrero Jr at +1200.
When betting on Major League Baseball, each game will be listed in your favorite sportsbook, and some games will have a ton of prop bets available for that game. Prop bets are wagers that you can bet on during the game. Some Major League Baseball Prop bets include:
- Ronald Acuna Over/Under: 0.5 hits in Monday’s game against the Dodgers.
- Max Scherzer Over/Under: 8.5 strikeouts in Tuesday’s game against the Rockies.
- Shohei Ohtani: Over/Under: 0.5 home runs in Wednesday’s game against the Rangers.
- Elly De La Cruz: Over/Under: 1 stolen base in Thursday’s game against the Pirates.
While these are just a few examples, there are plenty of opportunities to wager on Prop Bets in Major League Baseball. Be sure to understand what the prop bet means before you start placing bets on them.
Parlays are also popular in Major League Baseball Parlays are when you combine multiple bets into one. So instead of getting payouts on each of the individual bets that you like, you can parlay them together and give yourself a chance at a bigger payout. The problem with parlays = you must win ALL the bets in a parlay to win the bet.
Lastly, live betting continues to grow in popularity. To participate in live betting, you must be ready and available basically on the device and with your sportsbook. Here, you can live bet the result at the end of an inning, during an inning, a certain at-bat, half-game, etc.
You can also live bet the total runs for the same time periods or even specific upcoming plays. There are advantages to live betting, but it takes paying attention or careful strategy to be profitable in the long term.
How to Bet on MLB: Frequently Asked Questions
Betting on Major League Baseball is such a grind. The season is long, and the amount of games is incredible. There are literally over a dozen games nearly every day from the start of the regular season through the end of September.
Games here are very unpredictable, as bad teams are going to beat good teams. Good teams are going to struggle. Bad teams are going to get hot. Betting on Major League Baseball is not for the faint of heart.
There is no such thing as “rigged” Major League Baseball betting. More like “difficult” betting Major League Baseball, yes. It takes a bunch of patience, discipline, and knowledge to bet on Major League Baseball.
Unless you are a member of the team, such as a player, coach, trainer, etc., betting on baseball is perfectly legal in the United States. It is always important to make sure you are betting within your means and doing so responsibly.
Betting at a legal onshore sportsbook is required in the United States, as offshore books are not legal in the United States. There are many legal and safe sportsbooks in the United States, and each has pros and cons to them. Nowadays, there are no big red flags as far as deposits and withdrawals, as the legalization of sports betting has cleared a lot of those previous hurdles.
As we mentioned earlier, the key terms for betting on Major League Baseball:
- Moneyline – what amount you could potentially win betting on a specific team.
- Total – the number of total runs scored in the game by the two teams combined.
- Runline – an alternative to the moneyline, which gives you a second option to bet on both teams. Usually means a team wins or losses by more than a run and a half.
Top MLB Betting Sites: Best Online Sportsbooks For MLB Betting Lines
When engaging in Major League Baseball betting, a valuable strategy is to compare available lines and odds carefully. This can be achieved by identifying a reputable and user-friendly sportsbook, a task that has become easier since the legalization of sports betting in the United States. The stringent regulations now in place provide bettors with increased confidence as they enter the world of sports wagering.
Prior to initiating your betting journey, it is essential to undertake a few key steps. Firstly, ensure that the chosen sportsbook holds a valid license and adheres to regulatory standards. Additionally, evaluate the range of payment options they offer for both deposits and payouts.
A comprehensive array of betting opportunities and the presence of responsive customer service are also vital considerations. Only after thoroughly reviewing these aspects should you consider investing your funds into the platform.
In the United States, certain sportsbooks have risen to prominence, with DraftKings and FanDuel standing out as leading options. Caesars, BetMGM, BetRivers, WynnBet, and PointsBet are also notable choices, providing legal avenues for sports betting. Availability varies by state, so it is advisable to confirm whether these options are accessible and permissible in the specific state from which you intend to place bets.
Basic Tips For Becoming A Sharper MLB Bettor
As you move forward on your journey to becoming a better MLB bettor, you’re moving beyond casual sports betting. You’re now prepared to elevate your skills and consistently excel. This entails a deeper commitment, where your focus shifts towards a professional approach to sports betting. This endeavor demands your time, dedication, and financial investment. Here are imperative guidelines to cultivate your proficiency as a sharp MLB bettor:
- Thoroughly Analyze Teams and Players: Delve into team dynamics with precision. Absorb intricate details about their strategies, strengths, and vulnerabilities. Understand their intentions and past performances. Equally crucial is gathering insights about the opposing team and the context surrounding the game. Extract valuable intel from sources within the team’s sphere, ensuring your information is credible and informed. Amidst a sea of opinions, exercise discernment in choosing your sources.
- Cultivate a Robust Bankroll Strategy: To forge a sustainable career as a sports bettor, commence with a substantial and well-managed bankroll. Segregate your funds into manageable “units.” This disciplined approach enables you to make calculated wagers. When contemplating your MLB bets, allocate bets into these “units” to assess their value and impact.
- Avoid Impulsive Actions: Steer clear of chasing losses or inflating bets after a win. Emotional impulses have no place in successful sports betting. Shield yourself from attachment to personal biases or rooting interests. Base your decisions on solid reasoning grounded in statistical analysis and comprehensive research. Maintain a rational mindset to safeguard your wagering strategy.
- Methodical Record-Keeping: Scrutinize your betting history with diligence. Scrutinize the outcomes, identifying patterns of success and areas that require improvement. Address shortcomings constructively and refine your approach. A meticulous record of every bet empowers you to enhance your strategies over time. There are also a ton of tools available to do this online.
In your quest to evolve into a sharper MLB bettor, these principles are indispensable. By immersing yourself in comprehensive team analysis, adopting a disciplined bankroll management strategy, quelling emotional influences, and maintaining diligent records, you pave the way for enduring success in the realm of MLB betting.
How To Bet On The World Series
Betting on the World Series is popular among sports bettors. The World Series and the playoff that occur before are in the early fall, during the football season, so it creates a ton of betting opportunities.
The postseason starts in early October with wildcard games. With the current rules in place, there are seven teams heading to the postseason from both the National League and American League. Once the wildcard rounds are over, we are down to 8 teams in the Divisional Series and then Championship Series before the World Series starts.
Each of these series are best of 5 of best of 7 series. So while the game in itself is worthy of being bet on, there are also opportunities to bet on how the overall series will go.
The World Series games typically give a ton of prop bet opportunities as well. These are some great betting opportunities.
How Bet on MLB Games Online Legally
The legalization of sports betting has expanded to encompass over 30 states within the United States. It is crucial to differentiate between its sanctioning for online and in-person participation. In-person sports betting entails physical sportsbook venues, where bettors can place bets at designated windows or self-service kiosks.
At present, 33 states allow for in-person betting, while 25 states provide the option for online betting. Two states are presently in the process of legalizing both online and in-person sports betting. Concurrently, two other states are actively seeking approval exclusively for online sports betting, while an additional state is awaiting validation specifically for in-person sports betting.
However, there exist certain states where sports betting, whether in-person or online, remains prohibited:
- South Carolina
Prior to depositing funds into a chosen sportsbook account, it is highly advisable to undertake a preliminary verification. This entails confirming the possession of a valid sports betting license by the selected sportsbook and ensuring strict adherence to regulatory standards. This proactive approach is instrumental in guaranteeing a secure and compliant betting environment.
Tips To Know Before Betting On MLB Games
Returning to the realm of Major League Baseball betting, your dedication to the game is undeniable. You immerse yourself in its details, closely tracking teams, players, and coaches. However, beyond this meticulous involvement, there exist crucial insights to enhance your MLB betting strategy. Here are several key considerations to augment your approach:
- Grasp the Significance of Line Movement: Recognize the profound implications behind shifts in betting lines. These movements are not arbitrary; they carry meaning. They might reflect the sportsbooks’ intentions to sway betting trends or indicate substantial wagering on a particular side. By diligently monitoring line shifts, you can uncover valuable insights into the underlying dynamics.
- Stay Attuned to Injury Reports: A thorough understanding of team health is paramount. Imagine wagering on the Los Angeles Angels -120 only to discover that Shohei Ohtani is sidelined. Avoid this pitfall by vigilantly tracking injury reports and team updates before finalizing your bets. Shield yourself from the disappointment of hindsight, ensuring you make informed decisions based on accurate information.
- Weather and Home Advantage: Weather conditions wield influence over MLB games, impacting gameplay and outcomes. Furthermore, the distinction between home and away games carries weight. Recognize the impact of playing on familiar turf versus being on the road. Acknowledge that home-field advantage varies in significance among different teams.
- Begin Conservatively: If uncertainty shrouds your initial steps into sports betting, take a measured approach. Commence with modest wagers, allowing you to acclimate to the intricacies of sports betting while safeguarding your resources. Gradually cultivate your bankroll and assess your unit sizes as you gain confidence and experience.
As you navigate the intricate landscape of MLB betting, these insights can prove invaluable. Understanding line movement, staying updated on injuries, factoring in weather conditions and home advantage, and adopting a gradual approach are integral facets that will contribute to your mastery of MLB betting strategies.
Ready to Bet?
When delving into the realm of Major League Baseball betting, you’re not only embarking on an enjoyable pursuit but also opening doors to potential profitability. Profits in MLB betting are attainable, but they are the result of a shrewd and intelligent approach.
To get started with betting using BetMGM click here >>
Savvy bettors excel through astute bankroll management techniques, meticulous examination of teams, coaches, and players, and prudent execution of their wagers. Their strategy involves engaging with multiple reputable sportsbooks, favoring those with a proven track record and a strong sense of trust. Their expertise lies in securing the most advantageous odds, adroitly steering clear of unwieldy parlays when the odds don’t align favorably.
As you venture forth on your MLB betting journey, it becomes paramount to embrace responsible betting practices. Acquiring profound insights into the league’s intricacies and teams is vital, but equally crucial is mastering the art of selecting and placing bets.
When you get started with betting on Major League Baseball, make sure you have the ability to want to learn and the capability to adapt. With each bet made, you strive to cultivate new ideas and adjust your approach accordingly.
Sometimes, small adjustments may suffice; on other occasions, a complete overhaul of strategy may be warranted. Yet, the ultimate goal remains unaltered: to attain monetary gains through astute wagering within Major League Baseball.